Traditionally, pet products have involved a great deal of wood, metal, paper, and plastic – all of which contribute to climate change and global warming. Bamboo is an excellent alternative to many of these materials. It is lightweight, sustainable, and good for the planet. Today, pet products made from bamboo are everywhere, and they are helping to save the Earth one purchase at a time.
The Benefits of Bamboo
Bamboo boasts several advantages and benefits that everyday wood and plastic can’t match.
- One of the world’s fastest-growing crops. Bamboo matures to its full size in five to seven years, and some types can grow three feet in a single day. Traditional trees require 30 to 50 years.
- Air purifying benefits. Bamboo sucks carbon dioxide out of the soil and the air, and it gives off 35% more oxygen than traditional trees in the process.
- Deep-rooted erosion prevention. Bamboo’s roots penetrate deeply into the ground, which can help fight soil erosion.
- Versatile enough to grow anywhere. Bamboo can grow almost anywhere in the world. You can find it in Asia, Europe, and North America in abundance thanks to agriculture.
- Because bamboo grows (and re-grows) so quickly, it’s a profitable crop that many farmers prefer over others.
- Natural antimicrobial properties. Numerous studies have proven that bamboo is naturally antibacterial, which makes it the perfect alternative for various everyday products.
What Kinds of Bamboo Pet Products Exist?
More people than ever before are concerned about the planet, and that means they are doing their parts to manufacture products with sustainable and renewable resources. Numerous bamboo pet products exist, including the ones below.
- Brushes – Most dogs love being pampered with a massage brush, and brushing is an important part of keeping your dog’s coat healthy and shiny. Massage brushes made from bamboo contain roller balls that help your pup relax as you keep him looking amazing.
- Bowls – Food and water bowls are typically either metal or plastic. Glass also exists, but due to its weight, it isn’t the first choice. Bamboo food and water bowls are very lightweight, but manufacturers often utilize a weight in the bottom of the bowl so Fido can’t shove it around the floor. They are also available in a variety of sizes.
- Toothbrushes – There’s a lot of debate over whether you should brush your dog’s teeth, but according to the American Kennel Club (AKC), you should be doing it at least once a day. Rather than investing in another plastic toothbrush, check out bamboo pet toothbrushes, instead.
- Leashes, Harnesses, and Collars – Bamboo is also fibrous, which makes it a wonderful alternative to plastic cloths like nylon and polyester. You’ll find various bamboo options online, in stores, and perhaps even in your veterinarian’s office.
Your pets deserve the very best, but so does your planet. With that in mind, the next time you need to replace one of your pet’s items, consider foregoing plastic and metal and giving bamboo a shot, instead. It’s surprisingly strong, it’s affordable, it’s naturally antibacterial, and it’s good for the planet in many ways, which means you can feel good about your purchase.